A Story by Ruth Rothstein, Community Director Our House Rice Lake:
Last night at 10 p.m. I got a call from Lynn Hunt telling me that Care Partners, a local competitor, had a fire and they needed to evacuate. Lynn, myself, and Marianne went and assisted with the evacuation. My husband and Marianne’s son assisted with moving beds. Thank goodness no one was hurt. They had enough room in their apartments so we set up beds for 11 residents. Thanks to Marianne, I had a refresher coarse in how to do hospital corners. Last night, or should I say early this morning when we left for home, the fire department told me that as soon as they get the electrical checked and area cleaned up the residents can move back in. The owner was on sight and felt that this would be completed by tomorrow. The owner was so greatful that the Our House team was there to help. The fire was in a bathroom fan and the saving grace was that the bathroom door was closed and contained the fire. I will be reviewing this evacuation at our staff meeting next week and stress the importance that we all take it seriously when we practice. This fire, a tragedy in any light, did end up showing our teams willingness to help out in the community, as well as taught us all a valuabe lesson about the seriousness of our fire drills.